Monday, November 12, 2012

Budgie Bread

Photo by Jim Meeker

I've been trying to get Kara to eat her fruits and vegetables and she doesn't seem interested at all. So I'm trying this. It's bread that you can make specifically for your birds. Here's the recipe that I used.

Budgie Bread Muffins

2 Cups Bisquick
2 Cups Yellow Corn Meal
2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
4 eggs (With the shells added for calcium)
3 6-ounce jars of baby food (any kind, I used Carrots, Squash, and Apple/Banana)
1 cup parakeet bird seed
1 cup pellets (I used ZuPreem Avian Maintenance Fruit Blend for parakeets)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 

Mix all dry ingredients together well in large bowl. Add eggs and baby food. Stir until all ingredients are evenly moist. Batter will be very thick and heavy. Put batter into well greased muffin pans. Fill them about half way. Bake approximately 20 minutes, or until cake pulls away from sides of pan. 

They smell awesome while cooking. I may have to make some for myself without the bird stuff.

Cool completely. Reserve enough for 2-3 days, and freeze the rest. Thaw as needed.

The regular muffin tin seems a little large for Kara and I have to break the muffins up for her to be interested in them. Next time I will use a mini-muffin pan. 

She's seems to like them and it made enough to last a while.

No comments: